Monday, August 10, 2009

Listen to What You're Missing


Read: Deuteronomy 1:43, 2Chronicles 24:19, John 10:27

I know you're reading, but are you listening? By this I mean listening to God's voice. Do you know it? You can. You can recognize His voice. You do this the same way you recognize anyone's voice, by frequent contact with that person. If you spend time, even 10 minutes a day, reading scripture and meditating upon the verse, you'll hear God's voice. I promise.

What does He sound like? How do you know?

For me, it's a thought. I like to think of it as listening with my soul, not my ears. Most often it's an idea that flashes across my mind. Sometimes, I'm shocked by the idea because I would have never thought of it. That's how I know it's from God. I'm not that smart or creative to have come by such a revelation that just came to me. It has to be His grace. And it's always a good suggestion. God doesn't tell you to do wrong.

And one more thing. The more often, I spend time with God, the more frequently I hear His voice. He never shouts. He wants to converse with you, not have a shouting match. I know. I know because I've shouted at God and He didn't respond in kind. He just listened.

Kind of took the wind out of my sails. But if He can listen patiently to me, then the least I can do, is listen patiently, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment