Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Voice of the Holy Spirit



The Holy Spirit exploded on Pentecost.

Read John 14:15-16, 23-26.

Great! But that was then. This is now.

Well, I'm talking about now. The Holy Spirit still talks to us. Ask anyone who has participated in the Arise Together With Christ program.

Sometimes it's obvious. I experienced a phenomena that I have to ask friends if it really did happen, or did I dream it.


St. Mary's has a Wednesday night prayer group, Our Lady of Hope Charismatic Prayer Group; that's over 25 year's old. It use to be where the action was. Today, there's only a remnant. I was not a member of this group, but a friend heard that they were having a healing priest come to celebrate Mass for them, Father Aniello Salicone, sx. She asked me to go with her. It was there where I met the Holy Spirit.

Weather wise, it was a nice night. Many people had gathered for prayer. It was obvious that some of them were sick. Most of the people, I had never seen before.
Father celebrated Mass as usual. I zoned as usual. During the consecration, it was extraordinary still. When the priest elevated the host, suddenly, people began singing in tongues. I had never heard of this. I couldn't have told you what it was. But when I heard it, I knew it. A holy hush, and then, suddenly, people began singing in tongues.

I had never experienced anything like that before. It was beautiful and everyone, joined in. The sound was like angels flooding the church with different melodies and rhythms, yet harmonizing perfectly. Then things began to quieten down, and after another time of silence, Mass continued.

It was a profound experience and one that I have never encountered again. I still wonder if it were real. The only explanation I can give is that the Holy Spirit descended upon all of us, and gave us a great gift of angelic song that evening. Someday, I hope to sing like that again.

WOWZA huh?

That's not the only way, God speaks. Remember he can come in a whisper. (1Kings 19)
Participants in Arise learn to read and listen. They meditate on the scripture they've read, because God can speak:

1. Directly in the passage we are reading.
2. Through the thoughts that come to us during meditation.
3. Through friends, spiritual directors, and others close to you, whom you share your thoughts with.
4. Sometimes by giving us general uneasiness or the opposite--peace.

If you don't believe that God still speaks to us, then you need to join Arise Together With Christ. You will learn differently.
'

No comments:

Post a Comment