Thursday, May 27, 2010

You Can't Handle the Truth


Some people who heard Jack Nicholson exclaim this sentence in 2005, in "A Few Good Men", "You can't handle the truth!" have no idea what this implies. I do, and so does Jesus.

Read John 16: 12-15.

When Jack screamed this out, I thought of my oldest daughter, who couldn't handle the truth when she was 8 years old.

Although hubby and I had thought we had prepared our daughter for the birth of her sibling, as it turned out, she wasn't ready for it. Jesus could have explained everything to his disciples but they weren't ready for it.

I went into labor, one afternoon. My water broke as I was dialing the doctor's phone number. The baby was coming. Hubby phoned 911. My daughter went to get a neighbor. The baby didn't wait. He just slipped out. Hubby delivered a divine gift, along with a lot of amniotic fluid, blood, and umbilical cord. I was a little preoccupied with the birth, to notice my daughter. Hubby was busy "catching." The neighbor was greeting the EMT's. While my daughter watched.

We were the talk of the neighborhood, that day. I was wheeled out to an ovation; the neighborhood had all gathered outside and greeted us as baby and I went into the ambulance. What can I say?

A few days later, we went home and life went on. My neighbor told me that my daughter had told everyone that I had a baby. That daddy pulled out my belly button and out popped her new baby brother. She was eight years old.

Isn't eight years, the age of reason? We had explained the facts to her. She was there and saw with her own eyes. Hmmmpphh. I guess she preferred her version to the truth.

So Jesus tried to explain to his disciples. Luckily Jesus had the Holy Spirit to enlighten them, or they'd be spreading their versions of what happened. Imagine. Jesus pulled out his belly button and was whoossshhhed up to heaven. The Trinity consists of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit all connected by strings attached to their belly buttons.

What does the 'the truth about God,' mean to you? You do know that the Holy Spirit still works on us, even today. Pray for wisdom and understanding, the next time you don't understand a scripture passage, or a church teaching. Trust, that when you are ready for the truth, you will receive it.

via the belly button.

(just kidding)
'

No comments:

Post a Comment