Thursday, July 15, 2010

Martha and Mary

The story of Martha and Mary is a familiar one.  Read Luke 10:38-42.

Everyone I know identifies with Martha and jokes about this story.  Everyone except me.  That's because I'm Mary.  I identify with Mary.  I love to read theology and philosophy and religion.  I also never have enough time to pray.  To hell with the housework.  A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.

I sit in the kitchen reading the Word
husband treads the path from stove to table

his quick eyes check out my coffee cup--
down enough to warm up

he's buttered my toast and flipped my eggs
to greet the morning and me

praise God for good cooks and thoughtful lovers
thank you I pray with a full mouth

Hhrrmmpphh! he snaps the Globe open
looking over the paper and

into my heart with laughing eyes
and no words spoken.

No comments:

Post a Comment